Finance (No. 2) Act 2011 has introduced a reduced VAT rate of 9% for certain goods and services for the period 1 July 2011 to 31 December 2013.
The new rate applies to certain goods and services previously liable at 13.5% including:
- restaurant and catering services
- hotel and holiday accommodation
- admissions to cinemas
- certain musical performances
- museums and art gallery exhibitions
- the use of sporting facilities
- hairdressing services
As mentioned above this reduction is only for the period 1 July 2011 to 31 December 2013. From 1 January 2014 the rate will revert to 13.5%.
For more information on this change click here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/rate-change-9-percent.html