Section 7 of the Finance Act 2011 has introduced an amendment to the treatment of professional subscriptions paid by an employer on behalf of an employee.
Prior to Finance Act 2011 professional subscriptions paid by an employer on behalf of an employee where such membership was “relevant to the business” of the employer were exempt from tax. This exemption has now been removed by Finance Act 2011.
However Revenue have clarified that professional subscriptions paid in the following circumstances will qualify for tax relief:
- Where there is a statutory requirement for membership of a professional body
- Where there is a requirement for a practising certificate or licence
- the duties of the employee require the practise of the professional in respect of which the membership refers;
- the employee so practises the profession, and
- membership of the professional body is an indispensable condition of employment
For more information on this please click here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/ebrief/2011/no-192011.html